Missions and Evangelism
COMMUNITY OF FAITH MISSION WINTER SHELTER 2019-2020
On Sunday November 17, 2019 the Community of Faith Mission Emergency Winter Shelter for the Homeless began its eighth season. COFM operates the Winter Shelter for 18 weeks, from November 17, 2019 to March 22, 2020. Walnut Hills has hosted the shelter each of the past seven years and we will host the shelter this year from Sunday, February 16, 2020 to Sunday, February 23, 2020. Guests are housed in the Walnut Hills downstairs area and will be given a hot evening meal, a warm place to sleep, a modest breakfast, and snacks for the day. Last year approximately 117 volunteers served during the week, including WHBC members and Youth, William & Mary students, and members of New Zion Baptist Church. In addition to the on-site volunteers, the Team Kids visited, and many members provided food, snacks, and clothing. We served a total of 36 different guests during the week, including two children.
This year we will once again partner with New Zion Baptist Church for one of the nights. The operation requires between 20 and 25 volunteers each night. The various tasks, and scheduled times are as follows:
- Shift 1A- Guest Check-in: The Guest Check-in shift begins at 5:30 PM and runs until the over night crew comes in at 9:00 PM. Volunteers help with registration of the guests and store their belongings In a secure storage room.
- Shift 1B-Evening Meal Servers: Meal Servers help serve the evening meal, usually prepared by someone else, and clean-up after the meal.
- Shift 2 – Overnight Shift: The Overnight crew serves from 9:00 PM to 5:30 AM the next morning. The Overnight crew requires two men and two women. At least two people are to stay awake at all times.
- Shift 3A – Breakfast Servers: Breakfast Servers serve from 5:00 AM to 7:30 AM and heat up hot items and put out cold cereal, fruit, and juices. Lunch snacks are placed on a table with paper bags so the guests can take what they want.
- Shift 3B – Check-Out and Cleanup: The Check-Out and Cleanup crew serve from 5:00 AM to 7:30 AM and retrieve guest’s belongings from storage, sign them out in the shelter records, and perform cleanup as may be needed.
Over the years our membership has matured, but we still have many volunteers who are young at heart, and many more younger volunteers who faithfully step up each year. A training session will be conducted towards the end of January to discuss shelter operation and specific assignments. Sign up for specific jobs has not begun yet, but if you have a specific task or day you would like to volunteer for please let Bill Johnson know on Sundays or Wednesdays, or through e-mail at: email@example.com.
Many thanks to all the volunteers who make this ministry possible.
For the M&E Council
Just what is the Missions & Evangelism Council?
“The M&E Council was established January, 2008 to lead in identifying mission and evangelistic outreach needs in our community, state and world. It encouraged the entire church body to be involved in identified needs and assist in the education of church members about WHBC mission and evangelism opportunities, mission giving opportunities and special offerings. The M&E Council will also:
- Provide avenues and process for external mission and evangelism support requests
- Receive, review and approve church wide projects from the congregation which involve financial and human resource allocations
- Submit proposed budgeting and implementation plans to the Church Council for approval if the projects involve donations/fundraising and/or expenditure of monies which are not part of the M&E Council Budget line item
- Plan ways of celebrating the accomplishments and history of missions at WHBC
The M&E Council helps maintain the outward focus of WHBC, which is serving:
- the strangers in our midst
- the least of these, and
- children and families in our community
BUT, we are only the “administrative piece” so to speak. It is each of you that carries out this focus every day. And we want to thank you for all you do to serve those God has put around you!